How to email a professor
This isn’t strictly writing pedantry, but I think it’s good advice. Orange Crate Art advises the following ‘rules’ for writing to professors via email:
- Write from your college or university e-mail account.
- Include the course number in your subject line.
- Think about what you’re saying:
- Choose an appropriate greeting.
- Avoid rote apologies for missing class.
AvoidMake direct requests.
- Proofread what you’ve written.
- Sign with your full name, course number, and meeting time.
- Don’t send unexpected attachments.
- When you get a reply, say thanks.
For me, the attachments one isn’t so key–I ask students to send me a lot of stuff by email, so that’s okay. I also don’t mind direct requests, but phrasing them politely is nice.
Found via Lifehacker