My blog was on hiatus from Feb 2 – August 27, 2014. This post was written post-facto to highlight key events.
July was a fun month. We took a family trip in the pop up camper to Mackinac Island and the UP before joining friends at a campground in eastern Wisconsin. Highlights:
- Playing cards in the camper in the rain (no tents for us!)
- Watching the kids enjoy a swingset in a downpour.
- Over-reacting to a swollen bugbite and thus getting to visit the ER in a distant place.
- The Pictured Rocks. Pretty sweet.
At the end of the month, Jenny and I went to ComicCon so I could participate in the Zombie Research Society panel there. UBER fun. Highlights
- I acquitted myself admirably on the panel, representing my school well and providing solid answers. Most satisfying moment — when Max Brooks, author of World War Z, said “YES!” at my suggestion that members of the audience would be well-treated by reading Day of the Triffid. Also, met some ZRS advisory board members and found they are awesome people.
- Met Colin Anderson and J. August Richards in person. Very cool.
- Saw panels with Adam Baldwin, Felicia Day, Wil Wheaton, Chris Hardwick, Joel McHale (and the Community crowd), and John Barrowman.
- Hung out with friends Scott Kenemore and Matt Mogk.
- Met many comic book writers, including Eric Powell, Mike Mignola, and Rick Geary.
Books this month:
- A Treasury of Victorian Murder by Rick Geary
- The Lindbergh Child by Rick Geary
- Lexicon by Max Berry
- Southern Gods by John Horner Jacobs
Last, my class appeared as a clue on Jeopardy!