- In Which I tell Real Simple Magazine about zombies http://t.co/mo8I5ZFqCV http://t.co/EncA9Vnarn 07:54:06, 2015-09-20
- Tweets from 2015-09-13 to 2015-09-19 http://t.co/L08mCVolLC 10:00:46, 2015-09-20
- The Manhattan Projects http://t.co/tSbmYymzdI http://t.co/26PAVazWLM 11:31:21, 2015-09-21
- Hey auto-correct: yes, I mean 'muggles.' Not juggles. 13:54:02, 2015-09-21
- RT @GreenCouchGames: It’s Super Share Sunday! Please tell your people about Avalanche at Yeti Mountain so we can get this thing funded! htt… 18:05:05, 2015-09-21
- BREAKING: These tech companies support *more* government spying. http://t.co/EgAV8r9osj http://t.co/xi92MacEhm via @IDLtweets cc @heroku 12:00:58, 2015-09-23
- Finn did me a favor & I said "Thank you, thank you, thank you." Almost Dennis Leary'ed it, but stopped myself. NSFW https://t.co/R1RUp7yqxV 08:04:16, 2015-09-24
- The Martian http://t.co/oqpZPvTiVM 11:31:28, 2015-09-24
- Professor pride: A student just wrote, "The position of the text also draws the reader’s eye straight to the king’s butt." #DoingItRight 14:21:32, 2015-09-24
- @IsaacsAshes Glad you're feeling better! in reply to IsaacsAshes 06:29:21, 2015-09-25
by Andy Weir
We read this book for my SF group this month in anticipation of the film being released soon. Amazing!
Through a cascading set of mishaps, Mark Whatney is left for dead on Mars by his fellow astronauts. This novel tells the exciting and harrowing tale of attempt to survive. A few thoughts:
- While I didn’t find this particularly difficult to read, many of my SF group expressed befuddlement at much of the science in the novel. It is a very “hard” SF book, meaning that it spends a lot of time on technical details.
- The storytelling is terse and straightforward, which lends a lot to the drama of the moment — things unfold very quickly, but always told in the past tense (as they’re being written by Whatney in his mission log / journal).
- I love the interplay of Whatney on the planet, the astronauts in the ship flying back from Mars, and the ground control folks. Excellent.
- My only complaint about the book is that there are a few too many near misses – it feels a bit contrived in that regard. But like JAWS getting blown up by an air tank, it works because the story has you from go.
- Books and stories to consider alongside this one: Robinson Crusoe, Apollo 13, Survivor.
Overall, an excellent, very good book. If you can get over the technospeak, this is a book for you.
The Manhattan Projects, Vol 1-5
written by Jonathan Hickman, illustrated by Nick Pitarra
In the 1940s, the United States wrangled many of its best scientific minds together into the Manhattan Project, a military research group with the aim of creating the Atom bomb. Hickman and Pitarra’s comic asks the simple question: what if the members of the Manhattan Project were power-mad psychopaths dedicated to megalomaniacal development of unethical and monstrous super-technologies?
The comic series takes a series of historical figures from the middle of the 20th century and reimagines them in a world reminiscent of Garth Ennis’ The Boys, where the good guys are only marginally better than the bad guys, and all of them do reprehensible things. Only this time, it’s Albert Einstein and Robert Oppenheimer. A few thoughts:
- Einstein is the most satisfying character, still somewhat admirable but much more practical and terrible than the sainted version of him we remember from Meg Ryan movies.
- The heart of the government, particularly its Presidents, festers with corruption and incompetence, in this comic. It reminds me a bit of writing from Ellis, Ennis, or Chaykin. Not a comic for people who dislike iconoclasts.
- My favorite part of the comic is the idea that the U.S. and Russian scientists bond together to use their joint powers to try and run the world secretly. Also, Laika is a talking dog, in love with Uri Gregarin.
The series has a delightful chaos to it, suited perfectly to Pitarra’s scratchy (almost filthy) art style. It’s science as science adventure. Worth a read, but gruesome and dark and funny.
- Tweets from 2015-09-06 to 2015-09-12 http://t.co/yOgDvNdJXP 10:00:17, 2015-09-13
- Twitter friends: Do you regularly organize your progression through your music collection? If so, what system do you use? #music #LazyWeb 09:51:58, 2015-09-14
- Wow. A more brutal game of #SpaceHulkDeathAngel I have rarely played. Lost 1 or 2 soldiers each round, killed only 2 aliens. Died in room 2. 18:31:55, 2015-09-14
- And now, a YouTube channel devoted to 10 hour videos of repeating clips. https://t.co/nWrz8XNluO 11:56:02, 2015-09-16
- Has a great time teaching Finn to play #EpicResort last night. He enjoyed it thoroughly. @FloodgateGames 13:56:31, 2015-09-16
- Retweet this to say #IStandWithAhmed. Kids shouldn't be punished for curiosity. http://t.co/RrjQw5Z6R5 http://t.co/pcMNpaoRi9 | @idltweets 14:03:50, 2015-09-16
- Just found out RPG by my new friend @MechanteAnemone has come out from @EvilHatOfficial. http://t.co/PVkmJYxu7g http://t.co/JjMZURbZR8 22:12:38, 2015-09-16
- Loved family game last night: #EpicResort @FloodgateGames. Good parenting is saying "Let's pretend that monster came to MY frost cone hut." 14:16:31, 2015-09-17
- A little solo #Chrononauts while Avery swims. The Solonauts variant is a nice little puzzle. @LooneyLabs http://t.co/Xqmr3oT0Pr 18:53:28, 2015-09-17
- "@BoardGameGeek: Let's go Back to the Future @IDWGames: https://t.co/1IXyZ8X8Pf More details, Oct. WEM http://t.co/GPKmfd4TqO" @RheaButcher 08:59:49, 2015-09-18
- RT @meoplesmagazine: Very odd theme in @LudiCreations's …and then we held hands, but looks like a very satisfying two player coop game. h… 14:04:46, 2015-09-18
- RT @BoingBoing: DO SOMETHING: One more chance for us all to fight for Net Neutrality at the FCC http://t.co/oOkpdkgxoV http://t.co/Jsaot9AJ… 15:57:42, 2015-09-18
Real Simple magazine ran a piece on Zombies in this year’s October magazine, and guess who’s quoted in the article? Thanks to Kate Booth for sending me the pictures.
- Tweets from 2015-08-30 to 2015-09-05 http://t.co/NtykFxxx8c 10:01:28, 2015-09-06
- RT @Rattleboxgames: "Who has the highest sanity?" they asked. "I do," I said. #MWAHAHAHAHA! #BetrayalatHouseontheHill http://t.co/rwXpz7GNdf 20:01:29, 2015-09-06
- School starts tomorrow! Who's ready for some learnin?! @ColumbiaChi 23:05:54, 2015-09-07
- RT @toonopolis: Best meme of the #KimDavis fiasco I've seen yet. #Ghostbusters #DoYourJob http://t.co/UMNrQqF3OR 23:06:57, 2015-09-07
- Finally realize your gradient mask isn't working b/c a 2nd identical layer is beneath the 1st. #PhotoshopProblems http://t.co/cYwLIJan5C 04:48:01, 2015-09-08
- Doing battle with Headpin. Finn and I defend #ZetaCity. Victory! #HeroesWanted @ActionPhase http://t.co/OEAgWGsnJH 20:01:02, 2015-09-08
- Once you read this you might finally delete your online dating profile forever. CC @okcupid http://t.co/sjGCoOJ6uF http://t.co/WaO3UPNl47 14:18:14, 2015-09-10
- @InsertStrawHere Is this like "Fate Core" where you get to make up aspect names? 1. Life of the Party 2. Silver tongued in reply to InsertStrawHere 14:31:05, 2015-09-11
- Every so often I wonder if any students ever email me with the subject line "My dearest, in our Lord" 'cuz I delete that shit right quick. 14:34:26, 2015-09-11
- RT @ebaraf: Haven't checked out GemPacked Cards yet? Nows your chance!!
–> http://t.co/ikofsJHPeU <–
- RT @BoardGames_Live: Green Couch Games Launches Avalanche at Yeti Mountain on Kickstarter – http://t.co/0U2JcSH45c #boardgames #tabletop ht… 17:01:38, 2015-09-11
- RT @ebaraf: 3 backers from $5K!
Haven't checked out GemPacked yet? Now's the time!
- RT @gilhova: Hi @BostonFIG, come by booth U10 and check out my games! http://t.co/sZRwpulsOS 12:10:51, 2015-09-12
- Saturday afternoon assembling a cardboard Dino he won at FPPL! @forestparkreads http://t.co/dNekLbUfC7 14:16:34, 2015-09-12
- "@Jam_sponge: GOOD MORNING http://t.co/IDUskmAcSX" I will continue to favorite this every time you post it. #Classic 06:26:05, 2015-08-30
- Tweets from 2015-08-23 to 2015-08-29 http://t.co/ZQUH9ObgGw 10:01:22, 2015-08-30
- Greetings, Seattle. I am here. 11:49:10, 2015-08-30
- I appreciate the effort you are making on my behalf, Seattle. Was overcast when I arrived, and already the clouds part so the sun may shine. 11:55:57, 2015-08-30
- Hey! Muzzy isn't just a big blue french monster of nightmares. @NPeiters #HoainamTran @Jordan_Morris http://t.co/7Va8RBangb 08:22:56, 2015-08-31
- "@JesseThorn: "I don't have a TV." – Miley Cyrus or maybe I misread and it was Alan Alda?" Easy to confuse the two. 06:45:01, 2015-09-01
- Surprise 35 minute security line at the airport gave my morning a frisson of tension. Thanks, Seattle! T'was a blast. http://t.co/zW2uf3LiIt 06:52:06, 2015-09-01
- Back off, Ghatanothoa, this realm is protected. Finn and I say "Back, foul beast!" #ElderSign #GatesofArkham http://t.co/Lawax6yd2k 19:24:08, 2015-09-02
- Perhaps the University of Iowa's abymal choice for President is a case for paying Uni Preisdents poorly. 07:43:08, 2015-09-04