- Just imported five .csv files into MS Word and it asked me, with each one, how the file was delimited, suggesting TABS. Sheesh. 05:28:22, 2015-11-22
- Tweets from 2015-11-15 to 2015-11-21 https://t.co/001QvrchZd 10:00:15, 2015-11-22
- What got played – November edition https://t.co/jK5iVfGFZ6 https://t.co/R4omSDi8pS 11:31:22, 2015-11-23
- RT @saladinahmed: Today, as we remember the passing of Freddie Mercury, let us contemplate the greatest photo of all time. https://t.co/a3k… 09:25:18, 2015-11-24
- @Rattleboxgames #Telestrations for sure. Kids have requested #LadiesAndGentlemen & #Escape. Likely #BetweenTwoCities. Hoping #Lifeboat too. in reply to Rattleboxgames 09:30:10, 2015-11-24
- "@ImAaronJ: Last day of my 20’s, so that’s terrifying." In your 30’s you can be we more cranky. 09:40:36, 2015-11-24
- Damnit, @JesseThorn! How can I maintain my professorial aloofness when I guffaw in the stairwell after you nod to David Fincher's THE GAME? 15:05:12, 2015-11-24
- Solo game of @stonemaiergames #BetweenTwoCities results in a level 4 win. Really like these solo rules. https://t.co/ljOhclOeaJ 16:55:30, 2015-11-25
- 2 games of #RollfortheGalaxy, a solo #BetweenTwoCities, a few rounds of #DeadMansDraw, #BestTreehouseEver, & #Telestrations. #Thanksgaming 21:48:34, 2015-11-26
- Solo #BetweenTwoCities today, plus some #BestTreehouseEver, #DeadMansDraw, #Solitaire, & a 6-player #BeyrayalAtHouseOnTheHill. #Thanksgaming 21:06:49, 2015-11-27
- Today started with #RollForTheGalaxy, then #Lifeboat, then #13DeadEndDrive, and finally #EpicResort. Games end: home tomorrow. #Thanksgaming 21:21:25, 2015-11-28
Wow! I can’t believe we’re already at November 23rd. What a busy month it’s been! I just wanted to take a couple minutes today to fill you in on what I’ve been playing since the last post (on Oct 28th).
It seems to be harvest season for Kickstarter projects — Loop, Inc. , Best Treehouse Ever, and Epic PVP are all Kickstarter projects that I backed last year and just showed up. We also had some fun games of Escape: The Curse of the Temple and Between Two Cities.
I’ve been working on a system to pick which games to play when the kids and I have some time to game. The problem is that often, for whatever reason, the kids will get at loggerheads about what game they want to play. One will pick one game, and the other will absolutely refuse to play that game, and set their sights on another. You can see where this is going. So we’ve gone to a classic system that’s worked like gangbusters — papers in a jar.
I’ve now got two jars, though, because sometimes we have two hours and can play something long like Agricola or Galaxy Trucker, and other times we have an hour or less, and we have to play something like Machi Koro or Between Two Cities. So now there are two jars.
Here’s how it works:
- The two kids and I each secretly write a game fitting the category on a slip of paper. Into the jar it goes.
- We draw one of the games out and play it.
- The next time we have that particular block of time, we draw another slip of paper from the jar, until all slips of paper are gone.
Why this works better than other systems: I don’t know! What I do know is that when we tried putting someone’s name on the paper, there would be wheedling and suggestions such that the person making the choice didn’t get to make a choice outside of the strange dynamics of sibling rivalry. But when we write games on the paper slip, we avoid that. So far, so good! We may need to make a third jar for filler games, but otherwise, we’re golden.
Feedback: How do you pick which games to play with your family?
- RT @Rattleboxgames: $94 to go. OH GOOD GOLLY, I AM BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS! Need I say it one more time? CROMLECH! https://t.co/Mo3VhaX03F 08:42:17, 2015-11-15
- Tweets from 2015-11-08 to 2015-11-14 https://t.co/lo20JzY8Ms 10:00:13, 2015-11-15
- "@Rattleboxgames: What did you play this weekend?" Machi Koro, Tash Kalar, Last Night on Earth, Castle Dice, Once Upon A Time, and Cromlech. 10:12:35, 2015-11-16
- If you tweet from a business acct & reply from your personal acct but are aboveboard about it, is it still sock puppetry? #AskingForAFriend. 10:15:58, 2015-11-16
- Look what showed up today! #BestTreehouseEver @GreenCouchGames @Scott_Almes https://t.co/uUt9TRxDdn 19:18:52, 2015-11-16
- Clobbered my 9 year-old at #BestTreehouseEver, but I don't feel too bad. Soon enough she'll be clobbering me. @Scott_Almes @GreenCouchGames 22:26:39, 2015-11-16
- via @pharyngulafeed A thoughtful WashPo piece about the Mizzou safe space. https://t.co/6a1eUbyUYC 06:50:05, 2015-11-17
- Keep it up! YOU'RE looking great! 15:08:15, 2015-11-17
- Take action: urge Gov @BruceRauner to rethink his misguided position & welcome #SyrianRefugees: https://t.co/WR2VKn41u6 #twill via @ACLUofIL 08:39:26, 2015-11-18
- Bittersweet commute listening to last episode of a favorite podcast. I'll miss you, #Whambampow! @cameronesposito @RheaButcher @RickyCarmona 10:16:26, 2015-11-18
- Watching #NotReadyForChristmas and discovered it's Rex Manning as the fancy advertising dude. 21:50:00, 2015-11-18
- I thought of something new I need to do and decided to make a list for the day. While listing the old errands, I forgot the new one. 07:43:42, 2015-11-19
- I know it was a typo, but the walking/waking thing makes me think of @jedediahberry's amazing #ManualofDetection https://t.co/z7YOFYAepl 08:08:40, 2015-11-19
- @guybranum THANK YOU FOR PROMOTING THE GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW. EVERYONE SHOULD BE WATCHING THIS. #PopRocket. 08:57:14, 2015-11-19
- RT @cccooollliiinnn: @digital_sextant @jedediahberry Ahh… A slip up of the thumb may say more than consciously intended. 08:57:37, 2015-11-19
- RT @ColumbiaChi: MI. PA. TX. Washington DC 🚗 Meet with #ColumbiaChi this weekend at an info session: https://t.co/pCaZmg8t1F https://t.co/q… 10:05:58, 2015-11-19
- LOOK WHAT CAME! #EpicPvP @LPeterschmidt https://t.co/B0nRRQR9ar 15:21:37, 2015-11-19
- I've been typing two spaces after a period for at least 25 years. How long will it take me to shake this habit? #Reflex #AgeOfPrint 06:11:19, 2015-11-21
- Tweets from 2015-11-01 to 2015-11-07 https://t.co/c8BfR7HZTv 10:00:43, 2015-11-08
- I have considered trying to go by 'Berndan' as a nick name. This would save me lots of time having to delete and correct my own dumb typos. 05:23:36, 2015-11-09
- RT @Rattleboxgames: Only 6 days left in our campaign for CROMLECH, a dice game where you play ancient druids battling with magic. https://t… 09:35:24, 2015-11-09
- @superboardbros Re: #Gloom, I'll have to double-check but I'm pretty sure you can't kill a character with positive self-worth. 19:41:02, 2015-11-09
- RT @425suzanne: EGGNOG > Pumpkin Spice 10:15:59, 2015-11-11
- Question: does the company featured in an ad like this pay for that featuring? #Blackberry #NotQuiteToDieFor https://t.co/WXUG3P7n7U 12:25:28, 2015-11-11
- RT @BoingBoing: Republicans want to allow racist car dealers to continue overcharging people of color. https://t.co/M8HxVaxiZC https://t.co… 12:31:17, 2015-11-11
- Watching Harry Potter 6 with Avery and Jenny. Good golly, Jim Broadbent is a fantastic actor. 19:55:14, 2015-11-11
- Tom's amazing "Mistererium/Hitsterium" double whammy makes me want to open a 2nd iTunes acct so I can subscribe twice to @DogandThimble. 16:45:07, 2015-11-12
- Kids are watching Disney WEIRD SCIENCE remake called HOW TO BUILD A BETTER BOY. So far no A.M.Hall, Bill Paxton, or Kelly LeBrock cameos. 17:16:45, 2015-11-12
- When your kid who's ALREADY in the Christmas spirit picks the Pandora channel, you end up building LEGO to the tune of "Carol of the Bells." 18:35:25, 2015-11-12
- MT "@corybarker: As a PhD student and freelancer, you're always working & always have guilt about not working." The guilt doesn't go away. 20:07:35, 2015-11-12
- Just saw the trailer for KRAMPUS. Looks amazing! 23:15:34, 2015-11-12
- MT "@DanielKnaack: Carol of the Bells… TOO EARLY" As rebuttal look up CRASH TEST DUMMIES "Jingle Bells." It's like it was sung in a gulag. 14:44:21, 2015-11-13
- @DogandThimble #BadJokes What's a pirate's favorite Uwe Rosenberg game? Fields of Arrrrrle. 14:47:00, 2015-11-13
- RT @howitsplayedbg: Just a reminder, I'm running a contest giving away Time Stories & Marcy Case. Learn how to enter here. https://t.co/UUf… 18:12:48, 2015-11-13
- RT @adamsteinbaugh: BREAKING: From @onthemedia: https://t.co/gpEWNY53cf 18:20:14, 2015-11-13
- "Dad, the water in the pool bouncing off the edge reminds me of how bats use echolocation. Cuz of the waves." #Finn #Pool 19:55:31, 2015-11-13
- Showed Finn #CastleDice today and he promptly clobbered me 8 to 5. (My last turn keep bid keep was spoiled by the dice.) @LPeterschmidt 09:40:40, 2015-11-14
- @Rattleboxgames Played a round of Solo CROMLECH and got clobbered 10-15. Ouch. Want to try yourself? Back us! https://t.co/AQ5dOu3spy 12:12:17, 2015-11-14
- Tweets from 2015-10-25 to 2015-10-31 https://t.co/67jDmQRche 10:00:57, 2015-11-01
- My kickstarter continues on – 13 days left! https://t.co/adN1M9dhHR https://t.co/HWHdGg4p51 15:00:19, 2015-11-02
- I love that the @superboardbros super ask people about what books they read. We need more readers. 15:33:08, 2015-11-02
- "@superboardbros: what are you reading right now?" THE GODWULF MANUSCRIPT, the first Spencer novel. You? Still Dresdening it up? 18:09:29, 2015-11-02
- RT @trauman: @amesthehawk and I just released Ep06 of our new podcast:#MastersOfText. Download and listen! https://t.co/hUyZzd3x3Z 18:32:00, 2015-11-02
- @superboardbros just finished ep2. Regarding Orphan Black: did you get to the part where Agricola plays a key role? No joke. 07:43:26, 2015-11-03
- Played Galaxy Trucker (rounds 1&2) with the kids tonight. Only Finn's second game, and our total scores were 44, 43, 35. Also, had FUN. 07:46:47, 2015-11-03
- #cta blue line "medical emergency on the track at Clark and Lake." Train from Austin toward Ohare moving again. 07:59:56, 2015-11-03
- #cta blue line delays because of a medical emergency. Plan extra time this a.m. 08:14:38, 2015-11-03
- Sidekicks https://t.co/iGXrvVbNlF 11:30:49, 2015-11-03
- My twitter app hasn't updated so I still have stars. I AM FAVORITING THINGS IN WAYS YOU'VE NEVER DREAMED OF. 15:28:49, 2015-11-03
- MT "@Snakesandlattes: If I had to be transfigured into a game piece…. You guys?" CyberBunny from King of Tokyo. 15:32:21, 2015-11-03
- Going to try the Loop, INC solo rules tonight while my daughter swims. @Scott_Almes 15:40:14, 2015-11-03
- @Scott_Almes Solo #LoopInc is pretty fun! 2 games lvl1: 35-37, 41-30; 1 game lvl2 34-35. Level 2 was a squeaker! https://t.co/Ncp7seYaBY in reply to Scott_Almes 19:51:07, 2015-11-03
- Hey @Scott_Almes! I like the solo game but thought the rules needed a little more zip. Check it out! https://t.co/dYFPINjUIY 16:39:13, 2015-11-04
- The kid is smart! He just said @JamesRoday wasn't gonna die in this episode of #Psych. "Cuz there's a bunch of episodes left!" 18:47:04, 2015-11-04
- Check out this great interview with the @superboardbros about our current kickstarter, CROMLECH. https://t.co/CWouuk2spV 06:24:27, 2015-11-05
- SOON I SHALL BE IN PHILADELPHIA. I plan to see the place where they make the LIGHT cream cheese. 07:24:49, 2015-11-05
- I am hereby ready to develop professionally. Lay that sweet pedagogy knowledge on me, #mapaca15 panel 1G16. 12:44:38, 2015-11-05
- "@425suzanne: @WGTabletop" Just had the thought of you as the gaming Candyman: say a game 3 times and Suzanne shows up with it tomorrow. 16:20:54, 2015-11-05
- I hope you're not tired of my Cromlech tweets yet. Only 10 days to go! Comes with the magic of the ages. https://t.co/AQ5dOtLRy0 19:27:29, 2015-11-05
- Ad messed w/ me. Headline: "can't put your phone down?" Me: Neat, a phone-weaning service. Ad: our plan gives you ALL the bandwidth. Me: 😔 06:05:31, 2015-11-06
- #TPP text has finally been released. Here's how it impacts your Internet freedom https://t.co/uErHbqTDMF https://t.co/uoV8FYEYWB @idltweets 16:37:36, 2015-11-06
It’s weird being a parent as your child grows and begins exploring the world without you. More and more, my children watch shows and read books I haven’t read. Our worlds are diverging. So one does what one can — we watch cheesy television with them, and we read what they’re reading.
In the case of the latter, I guess I’m raising a kid with good taste…
Sidekicks by Dan Santat
Sidekicks is a graphic novel about an aging superhero, Captain Amazing, who’s feeling the endless creep of years sneaking up on him. He decides it’s time to get a sidekick, and that’s when we learn that his pets, the real protagonists of the story, have been yearning to team up with him forever. There’s an indestructible dog, a static-energy cat, and a hamster with no appreciable superpowers. And an iguana. A few thoughts:
- This comic has a really positive message — it encourages us to think about all our gifts, and the way that understanding them as part of our whole selves gives us an advantage far exceeding that of the person who excels at one thing alone.
- The hamster/iguana team-up is fantastic. They’re both brave and eminently vulnerable, fighting in a world fraught with danger.
- Captain Amazing’s tale of aging and teamwork cuts strikingly close to the bone for me, a father watching his children grow up and acquire their own interests that diverge from mine, and at the same time, want to do all the things I do.
It’s a cute and fulfilling comic. Well worth the twenty five minutes it will take you to read. According to the school librarian’s notes in the inside cover, you will also earn “4 points” for reading it. So there’s that.
If you haven’t seen my Kickstarter project for the card and dice game I developed with some friends, what are you doing? Get on over there! 😀 I kid. But I don’t kid.
Anyhow, we posted another update today highlighting the voting developments and pointing to a mention of the game on a Welsh newsletter for Geeks and Geekery.
If you haven’t seen it yet, please do check out CROMLECH. It’s fun and cool and I’d like to make it.
- Just backed Kodama: The Tree Spirits. @DanielSolis & @ActionPhase together! Give the cute tree spirits nice homes! https://t.co/MajHbpG3i0 09:33:47, 2015-10-25
- RT @geniesaurus: Just backed @digital_sextant's Cromlech, which of course, led into another @Kickstarter binge session. Join me! https://t.… 09:36:20, 2015-10-25
- @geniesaurus @kickstarter YAY! in reply to geniesaurus 09:36:33, 2015-10-25
- Tweets from 2015-10-18 to 2015-10-24 https://t.co/PsJF7KXgJz 10:00:16, 2015-10-25
- How better to spend your afternoon than a game of #EpicResort with your son? @FloodgateGames https://t.co/9JSvkGxYOL 16:22:07, 2015-10-25
- Was thinking there's an arrogance in believing yourself to be a Ravenclaw…. (1/2) #HarryPotterThoughts 10:53:30, 2015-10-26
- Then decided the real Ravenclaw arrogance is worrying about seeming arrogant for being Ravenclaw (2/2). #HarryPotterThoughts 10:54:34, 2015-10-26
- RT @laurien: Cromlech: dice & card game of magical battle, by Brendan Riley: https://t.co/b2A2nsUguI & https://t.co/I9a0Rf5Nyc @digital_sex… 10:54:46, 2015-10-26
- @laurien Yay! in reply to laurien 10:54:53, 2015-10-26
- RT @BrianCDoan: The fab @digital_sextant has started his own board game company, and you can support his cool ideas at this link: https://t… 15:40:57, 2015-10-26
- Oh yeah! Look what showed up today! @EagleGames @pbooth81 @Scott_Almes https://t.co/x0Aq9DNHYA 18:00:57, 2015-10-26
- Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania https://t.co/JH0xLh8SRI https://t.co/Sx4yFf47vS 11:00:39, 2015-10-28
- Recent gaming: A mini-review of Elder Sign https://t.co/ExBvOyeYB0 https://t.co/QqOoKggmuJ 11:30:37, 2015-10-28
- They put up a good fight, but the brave #DeathAngel Space Marines failed their mission. Sgt Lorenzo's last stand. https://t.co/dqjlJPhioZ 19:30:19, 2015-10-29
- "@gamesandbourbon: @digital_sextant @Rattleboxgames …Roll skulls lorenzo, roll skulls!!" That die is brutal. 22:32:50, 2015-10-29
- Awake. Ugh. 03:36:00, 2015-10-30
- The Osiris Ritual https://t.co/Dq0WKG4zwk 11:31:27, 2015-10-30
- RT @darthfrosty: @Rattleboxgames — can't wait to see Cromlech launch!! https://t.co/lLpxkCqzWH 05:32:20, 2015-10-31
- Here's my attempt at an #alien chestburster pumpkin. Made the alien from a gourd. https://t.co/lMVEGuiXyU 15:35:16, 2015-10-31
- Somebody is keeping my neighborhood ghost free! https://t.co/gzPeRQ06ZA 16:48:52, 2015-10-31
- "@hardboiledgregg: Played ghost themed scenario in #HeroesWanted. That was scary! https://t.co/EBlCxlGaWk" Good idea! 17:47:43, 2015-10-31
- "@dancpharmd: i keep thinking I want to watch Van Helsing. I should really know better." Don't do it! 20:09:22, 2015-10-31